Some of the furor around AI has died down in recent months, but that doesn’t mean that tools like ChatGPT are any less useful. If you’re a customer support leader who’s obsessed with streamlining processes and doing the most with the resources you have, it might be time to add ChatGPT to your toolbelt to act as your personal AI chat companion.
Here are 15 ways ChatGPT can help you build a high-performing customer support team.
Did you know you could build your own AI Copilot? Try out this template to get started.
How does ChatGPT think it could help customer support agents?
It’s typically bad form to write an article about somebody without giving them a chance to comment. That’s why we asked ChatGPT how it thinks it could help a customer support team if given the chance.
It had a lot to say on the topic. But, generally, here’s the breakdown of where ChatGPT thinks it would be of most help to a customer support team:
- Knowledge base support: You can see its answer in the screenshot above, but ChatGPT believes it’s your best ally when it comes to creating, updating, and optimizing a knowledge base.
- Onboarding: Customer support teams have a higher turnover rate than most other teams, going as high as 45% for dedicated call centers. That means optimizing your onboarding process is especially important since you need to quickly get a return on investment with new agents. If ChatGPT can help you there, that’s a huge advantage.
- Answering basic tickets: Feed ChatGPT some of the most common requests from your customers, and ChatGPT works as an ai personal assistant to provide a list of possible solutions your agents can draw from. But with the right plugins, you can automate all of this and turn ChatGPT itself into a powerful automated customer support agent.
- Translation: If there are more languages across your customer base than your customer support team, you can use ChatGPT as a translator, plugging in a customer’s ticket to get an idea of what they need.
- Extract insight from customer feedback: Customer support agents often get more feedback than they know what to do with. Instead of having someone spend a bunch of valuable time reading it, just give it to ChatGPT and you’ll get actionable insights in minutes.
- Sentiment analysis: Not sure how to handle a particular ticket or complaint? Get a helping hand from ChatGPT. It’ll cut through the noise and compare the real meaning of that complaint to its massive knowledge base to tell you exactly what you need to do.
So now that you know what ChatGPT can do for your customer support team, let’s dive into how you should do it.
9 ChatGPT prompts for helping your customer support agents
When it comes to ChatGPT, you’ll get what you put in. Anything you put in can be broadly described as a “prompt,” meaning that figuring out how to create just the right prompt will go a long way toward ensuring your customer support team gets the most out of their new AI assistant. Here are a few to get you started.
Onboarding is one of the best ways to use ChatGPT, because any manual work you can eliminate from this process will have a huge impact down the line. Here’s a selection of onboarding prompts for utilizing ChatGPT as your ai virtual assistant.
- Create a ten-question test for a new customer support agent. Make sure you customize this prompt with a bit of additional detail so the questions are more specific to your team. You could, for example, add “[...] a new customer support agent at a call center for a large software distributor.”
- Give me a one-page cheat sheet to help a new customer support agent in a call center for a tech company. One of the biggest milestones for a new customer support agent is taking support tickets (or calls) on their own. By providing them with a cheat sheet, you can help them reach that point faster and more confidently.
- Draft an onboarding process for a customer support agent taking tickets for a SaaS company, making sure to include the amount of time they'll have to spend in each phase. If you’re leading a fresh customer support agent team and have no idea where to start, might as well let ChatGPT help you out!
For answering customer requests
The meat of customer support work is helping customers work through complex problems, and ChatGPT is a great asset here, too. Check out these prompts.
- Help me draft a response for a customer who is asking for [a feature you don't offer yet.] Sometimes, a customer just wants something that isn’t available, and you have to gently reassure them that you’re going to offer them whatever you can, despite not being able to give them what they want.
- I need an email I can send to a customer who threatened the company with legal action. Whether you’re at a small company that’s never received a message like before or you just don’t have a standard process to refer to, ChatGPT can help you craft the perfect response.
- What is the best way to explain to a customer that we don't give refunds? There are times when you really can’t give a customer what they want and a refund isn’t on the table. ChatGPT is a great tool to figure out the right amount of tact for this kind of issue.
For optimizing your team’s performance
ChatGPT is great at drafting potential responses for your team, but it’s also a great tool for leaders. If important customer engagement metrics are going into the red and you’re struggling to come up with reasons why, turn to ChatGPT!
- What are some ways I can streamline processes for my customer support team? Standardizing processes is crucial for a customer support team to run smoothly, but done wrong it can lead to bureaucratic bloat. It’s a good idea to ask ChatGPT what it thinks you can fix.
- Customer satisfaction scores are increasing, but so is average response time. What can the team do to decrease average response time without sacrificing customer satisfaction? Sometimes it feels like you have to sacrifice one metric to save another, but that doesn’t have to be the case when you have an AI assistant to help you figure things out.
- How can a customer support team help increase customer lifetime value? When you’re deep in the customer support trenches, it can be tough to see how you’re contributing to the bigger picture. So let ChatGPT remind you!
PixieBrix: The best way to deploy ChatGPT across your team
Whether you’re leading a customer support team, creating the next earth-shattering SaaS disruptor, or building a content machine that would put the top content creators to shame, AI helpers like ChatGPT are like rocket fuel. But when you have a whole team to fuel, you should turn to PixieBrix.
That’s because PixieBrix works seamlessly with OpenAI to bring ChatGPT to any website or software tool you need it in — and it can get you consistently helpful outputs through pre-built mods you can deploy in minutes.
The best part? You can get started for free.